Monday, April 16, 2012

The health hazards of household mold

It's not a good idea to ignore mold, it needs to be
removed safely and the problem needs to be fixed.
Mold spores are everywhere and we are breathing them in all the time – but it’s the concentration that can lead to health concerns, experts say. A mold-infested home can lead to serious repercussions for its residents.

According to the EPA, exposure to mold can cause a variety of health problems, such as headaches, breathing difficulties, skin irritation, allergic reactions, and aggravation of asthma symptoms.

A 2007 US study found a link between damp, moldy homes and depression, while Harvard University researchers found babies growing up in damp homes where mold and mildew are present develop more respiratory illnesses such as pneumonia, croup and bronchitis.

Mold thrives in damp and humid conditions and in places that lack ventilation.

Once mold takes over a home, it can quickly spread across floors and materials, unless it is being mitigated.

Mold is a growing problem in the United States; some industry experts call it the “asbestos of the new generation.”

Homeowners can do the following to prevent or mitigate mold:
  • Monitor the home’s level of humidity and not let it get over 50%
  • Ensure good ventilation in all parts of the home
  • Inspect the home regularly and keep it well maintained.
  • Fix water infiltration problems promptly.
  • Dry and/or replace all affected materials
  • Enlist the help of professionals in severe cases of mold

Source: Body and Soul

Mold air purifiers can help reduce exposure

While prevention and mitigation are most important when it comes to mold, the right air filtration system can also help prevent problems and provide cleaner air.

AllerAir has developed portable air purifiers for mold that feature deep-bed activated carbon and HEPA filters plus optional UV germicidal filtration to help keep mold under control.

The UV lamp helps neutralize mold spores so that they won’t grow new mold colonies. The HEPA filter  traps mold spores (as well as other particles) and the activated carbon filter removes mold odors and mycotoxins that are released by some molds.

For more information and products, contact AllerAir today: 1-888-852-8247.