Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Could installing a satellite dish expose you to asbestos?

When a technician comes to install a new satellite dish the last thing most of us think to ask is whether he's trained to recognize asbestos.

In Australia, thousands of home owners are now awaiting the results of a study launched by the government after it was revealed inadequately trained contractors had dislodged asbestos in more than 20 government-owned houses. They also reviewed 1,733 private homes where the satellite dishes had been installed.

Asbestos was frequently used in home construction in some areas until the 1990's. It has been been deemed a carcinogenic substance by most major health agencies. If the fibrous material is disturbed, tiny particles can become airborne and can be inhaled.

Asbestos exposure has been linked to lung cancer, and other respiratory illnesses.







Source: :The Australian
Photo: freedigitalphotos.net




No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment