Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mold in your home – causes, risks, removal tips

Mold can grow in any home or building if there is
enough moisture and a surface to grow on.
Mold problems are some of the most common air quality concerns in homes.

Mold spores are a natural part of the environment, and all they need is enough humidity or water and a surface to grow on. Experts say mold will grow on wet material in 24-48 hours.

Many homes feature damp basements in the summer, when the ground water level rises, or high humidity in the winter due to condensation. Other problem areas in the home include utility rooms, water heaters, sinks, washing machines and bathtubs – pretty much any area where water might drain.

Homeowners should make sure that downspouts are angled away from the home, and that the home’s humidity readings stay at a healthy level.

Other causes for mold:
  • Flooding
  • Sump pump failure
  • Condensation on windows
  • Soap scum in showers
  • Firewood stored indoors
  • Line drying clothes indoors
  • Leaky or poorly ventilated attic
  • Damp closets

Health effects of mold

Some people might not know that they have a mold problem until they start not feeling well. That’s because mold often grows in areas that are hidden – behind drywall or underneath the carpet, for example.

While some people may experience symptoms related to mold, others may not be feeling any effects whatsoever.

However, the number of people sensitive to mold is growing steadily.
Sneezing is one of the possible health
effects of mold.

Health effects can include
  • Allergy symptoms such as sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, cough, itchy eyes, nose and throat, watery eyes
  • Aggravated asthma
  • Infections such as skin infections or pneumonia
  • Headaches
  • Flu-like symptoms, trouble breathing, nervousness, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, extreme fatigue

Mold removal tips

When there is a lot of mold in the home, professional remediation services may be needed.

If the mold growth is small, homeowners can remove it themselves by scrubbing with a soap or detergent. Bleach and water may not be enough to kill the mold.

Porous surfaces like paper, insulation, sheetrock and carpet padding that are moldy should be thrown out because you won’t be able to remove the mold completely.

Always wear protective equipment when working around mold.

Source: InForum

Musty odors? Improve indoor air quality with powerful air purifiers

While prevention and source control is very important when it comes to the avoidance of mold, an air purifier with a carbon and HEPA filter can also help remove mold spores and mold mycotoxins – the disease-causing toxins some molds can spread.
Air purifier can help keep the air
clean and healthy.

AllerAir’s air purifiers for mold can also get rid of unwanted musty odors and stale air. Opt for UV germicidal filtration for extra protection.

Recommended units:

5000 Exec - Efficient general purpose air purifier with 18 lb. carbon filter, medical-grade HEPA, optional UV filtration

AirMedic+ Exec - Superior particle and allergen control with 18 lb. carbon filter, medical-grade HEPA and optional UV filtration.

Contact AllerAir for more information.